It’s the last day of 2016, and as we get ready to ring in the New Year 2017 with our family and friends here in Hawaii, we thought we’d reminisce on everything we got to experience in 2016.
From skiing in Whistler, to experiencing the cherry blossoms in Japan, 2016 was a year of tremendous growth and learning as a family. The kid-foodies got to try new foods (like khlea, the mystery meat of Morocco), and experience new cultures (we did an entire series on Japan).
So, what better way to commemorate the end of the year than by looking back at some of our favorite Pint Size Gourmets posts of 2016?
- Celebrating National Welsh Rarebit Day – We cannot wait to visit the UK next year, and a great way for the kids to learn about its history is through food…which is why learning to make a Welsh Rarebit was the perfect culinary lesson!
- Mixed Ethnicity: The Children of Asian-Pacific Islanders – Hawaii is a melting pot and growing up here is so very different from being raised in the mainland USA.
- Protecting Hawaii’s Green Sea Turtles – The highlight of our week definitely has to be volunteering with Malama na Honu, a non-profit whose mission is to protect and preserve Hawaii’s green sea turtles through outreach and education.
- Culinary Worldschooling: When Kids Travel, Learn and Cook – An important post on how we live our lives, exploring the globe, worldschooling our children with an emphasis on culinary education.
- How to Explore the Island Paradise of Oahu for Less – Hawaii is our home, and we were lucky enough to guest post on Travel The Globe 4 Less all about exploring Oahu on a budget. Thanks, Anne!
- Overseas Travel: Don’t Spend Your Weekend in Jail – The importance of having an international family travel checklist! Trust me, you don’t want to leave home without it.
- Exploring Colorado’s Rocky Mountain National Park With Kids – The National Park Service turned 100 years old in 2016, and we were lucky enough to visit the Rockies this year.
- Japan With Kids: Go to a Japanese Sumo Wrestling Match – Our time in Japan was short-lived, but boy did we have some of the best experiences while we were there! The kids will never forget their first sumo wrestling match (and neither will I)…
- 5 of the Best Local Beaches on Oahu – You know what we’re going to do tomorrow, January 1, 2017? Head to a gorgeous beach and soak up the sun!
- Our 2016 Guide to Kid-Friendly Restaurants in Dubai – We visit Dubai multiple times in a year (it’s actually our next destination in 2017), and always make it a point to explore the city’s vibrant restaurant scene.
Here’s to another year of adventures with the kid-foodies, Lou Lou and Jaf. We cannot wait to see what 2017 has in store for us. Happy New Year 2017!